Friday, February 8, 2013

Office chair slipcover - a romancey makeover

I'm so excited to be able to share this little project with you! It's one of the elements of the Mom Cave that really needed to be brought in line with the look of the room, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. In the end, I just love how it turned out. It's my office chair - a thrifted bargain at $8, with good back support and one stray wheel that sometimes slides across the floor rather than turning.



After considering a tailored re-upholster where I would actually remove the padded parts and recover them, I decided instead to go with the "slipper chair" look of a slip cover. Advantages: removable, washable, and a whole lot less frustrating than trying to figure out how to take this chair completely apart. 
After thinking and studying on this for quite awhile (we're talking MINUTES, people!), I decided that I would further simplify by doing a two-piece outfit where the top and bottom just easily slip into place. Here's the result: 


Isn't she just super-cute? She looks like she's wearing bloomers!  


Fabrics were all from my stash: a beautifully aged patio cushion cover...



A standard pillow sham, deconstructed (it was this tutorial on doing a ruffle that gave me the shove I needed to go forward with this project!)...


...and an ivory colored eyelet bedskirt. 


Her top is a section of the cushion cover, sewn with slightly rounded corners like the cozy I made for my can opener in the kitchen. I sewed a bit of the bedskirt to the back. This piece, of course, fits by just slipping it over the back of the chair. 


The new seat cover isn't even enclosed - it's just a flat piece, with the ruffle and bedskirt sewn around. It fits by just tucking it in to the junction between the existing back and seat of the chair. 


Now make no mistake, I think Little Miss Fancy Pants here is adorable... but the true test is whether all this new finery has impacted her functionality as office furniture. My helper assures me it has not. 


(Gratuitous cat picture: doesn't Lily look pleased that I have disturbed her slumber?)


Doesn't it just make you want to sing, "Three Little Maids From School?" 

No? 

Maybe that's just me :) 



I'll be sharing my sweet little office chair makeover at these lovel parties: 


More soon, 
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Your chair cover is too cute! Your cats are like mine...they think they have to immediately sit/sleep on anything new in the house! Now I'm rethinking keeping my rolling chair and covering it! I think I just might do that...thanks for the inspiration!

    Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet! It is absolutely gorgeous!!! From that too-bright blue to this romantic 'nest' of a chair.... oh you did great!! Do come and join our linky party and link it up! You can find the party from our homepage, http://www.finecraftguild.com Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, your kitty has such good taste... :) What a lovely redo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! I love repurposing fabric items that had another life - like the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the sweet comments! Yesterday I went into this room to putter around and there wasn't a seat to be found. Helper #1 (Lily) was on the office chair, and helper #2 (Tiger) was in my reading chair! I guess it's true, if you want the best seat in the house, you will have to move the cat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on that classy makeover! The chair can surely provide you with extra comfort on a busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your ideas and reasons why you decided to have a a cover on your re-uphostered office chair. Lovely makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.
    best office chair under 200 in 2015

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sweet pussy cat sit on the chair. It look like cute and beautiful. Those chair are made for girls. They can use it their bed room or study room. 9to5ergonomics

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...