Sunday, August 1, 2010

Treasure hunting grounds

One of my favorite past-times is to spend a couple hours wandering the aisles at my favorite area antique mall, The Brass Armadillo, here in Des Moines. The Brass Armadillo has brought me a lot of joy over the years, from finding a then-elusive covered casserole to go with my handed-down set of Currier and Ives dinnerware, to finding just the right set of home-made wheels for my husband to use in building his faux cannon for our front yard:


Here, though, is one of my absolute favorite booths at the Brass Armadillo - this is what I imagined my little store would have looked like if I had ever opened it:


What I like about this booth is that is lays out a collection of treasures, making each one visible but also making a beautiful cohesive vignette.


More treasures around the corner, inside the booth:

It took me a long time to understand something about shopping in a booth like this: When I buy an object from this vignette, I need to think about how I’m going to display it in my home so that it creates the same opportunity to see and appreciate it as it did in the store. That’s why, these days, I try to only buy items I already have a place for at least in my mind - whereas, in the past, I’d buy something just to acquire it, and then be disappointed when it didn’t give me the same satisfaction away from all of its in-store companions.

Of course, I never distance myself too far from the possibility of discovering something completely unplanned:


More soon!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet. So glad you found my blog -- so I could find yours! I love shops like this, too. Such a treat to browse and look for treasures... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan - thanks for visiting! Your tablescape was one of my favorites this week - and oh WOW, that porch!! Congrats on the beautiful (probably ongoing) labor of love you have undertaken on your home ... it's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can easily understand why you would like a booth like this . I would love to have one like that , full of feminine details and treasures

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...