Monday, March 4, 2013

Sunday painting


I have a small collection of what I used to call "amateur paintings," all picked up for a couple dollars or less at area thrift stores. Later I learned another expression for them: "Sunday paintings," meaning pictures created by people who took up painting as a hobby or weekend pursuit. My collection centers around landscapes and still-lifes - barns, houses and floral arrangements. Here are a few of my favorites: 





I even tried my hand at painting one - yes, on a Sunday: 



Since I recently re-painted the Mom-cave, I've been trying to be really particular about how I arrange them. Slowly but surely, I'm getting many of them up on the wall. 




I recently acquired this charming little beauty - the colors and subject were lovely, but it was missing a frame. 



No matter, a few weeks later I spotted this 11 x 14 frame at a different store for just 99 cents. It has the routed edges on the insides so the canvas will fit down inside. 



Today I took on a different type of "Sunday painting" and just applied a few coats of my off-white acrylic craft paint to the 99-cent frame. I put it all together and really love the result: 



The tabletop above is still a work in progress, but I do kind of like the painting in its frame next to the creamy white pitcher. 

Are there any type of  "other people's artwork" that you like to collect? 

More soon,


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...