Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Use what you have: Beach Vignette

I noticed that Cindy over at My Romantic Home is giving away her beautiful hand-made seashell wreath (which of course I entered to win - you should too!) and I got to thinking about some shells I have had ever since I was a kid... yes, I've carted them around with me, rescued them from my parents' house and TWO floods, for about 40 years.

I wondered how I could use them and as I wandered around the house, looking for a container that would be fittingly beachy, I found this gathering dust:


This was my prize in the white elephant gift exchange at work last Christmas. I actually really like the shape and the candle, though I've never been too crazy about the potpourri. Perfect!

I had to ask my husband where the shells were - I knew only that we'd probably brought them to the new house after the most recent flood (2008), but he seemed to know exactly where they were and produced them immediately.

After a thorough cleaning of all the shells, the container, the scrolly rack (I could paint it white!) and the candle, I loaded it up and produced this:


Which looks great sitting on our glass coffee table, next to our postcard of the Caribbean and the large conch shell we got in St. Thomas many years ago:


I think it makes a very happy little beach scene!

More soon!

3 comments:

  1. Found you on the Shabby Nest! Don't some of our "treasures" come in HANDY??! Following you now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Janet for commenting on my "good" china post yesterday! You have a lovely blog and I hope we can check up on what the other one is doing every so often. It seems we have a lot of the same ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, they sure do! Very nice to be able to combine two things that deserved a spot but were just waiting for the right idea!

    Becky, I LOVED your post about the good china - so true that we need to treat ourselves often!

    Thanks to both of you for visiting, glad to have you here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...